This Chocolate Cake Swiss recipe is a delicious and decadent dessert that is perfect for any special occasion. Made with rich chocolate cake layers and a light and fluffy Swiss meringue buttercream frosting, this dessert is a showstopper that is sure to impress your guests.
The cake layers are made with a combination of cocoa powder and melted chocolate, giving them a deep chocolate flavor and a moist, tender crumb. The Swiss meringue buttercream frosting is made by whipping egg whites and sugar together until stiff peaks form, before adding in butter and vanilla extract to create a smooth, creamy frosting that is not too sweet.
This Chocolate Cake Swiss recipe is a bit more involved than your average cake recipe, but the end result is well worth the effort. If you’re looking for a dessert that is sure to impress, this recipe is definitely worth a try!
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
Ingredients for the Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans, and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the Swiss meringue buttercream, combine the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 5-7 minutes.
- Gradually add the butter to the egg white mixture, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a generous amount of the Swiss meringue buttercream over the top. Place the second cake layer on top, and spread more buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the cake as desired, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy your Chocolate Cake Swiss!