The best Baked Macaroni and Cheese packed with two types of cheese and cooked to perfection. So easy to make, this is a great weekday meal recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Excuse me while I dive face first into this cheesy pasta.
So you all remember your childhood Mac and Cheese? I’m not going to name any names here, but it’s the kind of Mac and Cheese that you get in a box with the weird colored powdered cheese? The one that Wikipedia names a contender as the Canadian national food. (You know I’m proud to be Canadian when..)
Well you can throw those boxes away. This is the Mac and Cheese recipe to end all Mac and Cheese recipes.
I actually made this Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe a long time ago. Like a loooonnngg time ago, back in the beginning of January. When everyone was on a diet, and was vowing to eat healthy and all that good stuff… there I was making the most heart-attack inducing macaroni and cheese recipe. Way to go my resolutions.
So I decided to hold off on the recipe until most people give up their resolutions. Beginning of February? Yeah, I am seeing less people at the gym (including me). Time to pull out the old cheese casserole, featuring pasta. Aka: this Mac and Cheese.
We are also rounding the corner to Valentine’s Day, which means that you might want to start thinking of meals to make your significant other. And my advice to you is: the way into anyone’s heart is through cheese. This is certainly true for me.
Usually my fridge is stocked with at least 5 different types of cheeses. At this point in time, we just got back from a long holiday and I only had two types: cheddar and mozzarella. Making a quick and easy mac and cheese? Put in ALL THE CHEESE!! Which means the only two I have on hand.
Even though this mac and cheese was so good I’m still thinking about it, this will not be a recipe I make all that often. First: let me break this down as a math teacher. Cheese > Pasta. Which, to be honest, isn’t really a bad thing in a mac and cheese recipe. But then again, probably not a good thing for an everyday meal. And secondly… have you seen the ingredients list? Definitely a special occasions side dish.
Wednesdays are a special occasion..right?
If you wanted a stovetop version, try my Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese.
And if you try this recipe, let me know! Rate it, leave a comment and tag me with #atasteofmadness on Instagram! I always love seeing what you are creating!
- 3 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 (370 mL/12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and macaroni, and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Add in the butter and stir until the butter is melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the evaporated milk, milk, eggs and garlic salt until fully combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the cheeses.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the macaroni, then 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour the milk mixture over top. Sprinkle the paprika evenly on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
1 thought on “BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE”